1. At three they never stop talking, an avalanche of cuteness for your memory box. At 16 you can barely get a grunt.
2. At three, yes, they throw epic temper tantrums. At 16 they throw kitchen utensils.
3. At three they only eat processed foods. At 16 they eat EVERY FUCKING THING and are STILL never satisfied.
4. At three bath times are a hilarious splashing affair full of hugs and laughs and wet towels. At 16 you have to schedule toilet times and the bathroom is turned into a Turkish bath for three hours, teenager emerges just as filthy as before leaving a ring of scum/hairdye/glitter around the bath tub.
5. At three they are potty trained and it’s fun to talk about poos wees and farts whilst applauding the massive achievement they’ve made (all the while saving on nappies) at 16 you are constantly running out of toilet paper and no, the toilet doesn’t clean itself.
6. At three they want to dictate your entire food list. At 16 they want to dictate your entire LIFE.
7. At three they pick out their own clothes and look ADORABLY hilarious. At 16 they look like they are getting a job at spearmint rhino…..every day.
8. At three they love to play and get dirty, with an hour long fun time bath at the end of the day. At 16 they don’t get dirty they are ALREADY dirty and see point 4.
9. At three they insist on doing things themselves. At 16 you are their unwitting slave and if you are NOT then woe betide YOUR conscience mama.
10. At three they have a strong yet beautiful hold on you. At 16 they feel like that benilyn mucus monster hanging off your back.
kids are tough at any age. So let’s love the little bastards within an inch of their grubby, shouty, demanding lives because life is precious and one day we will look back and smile at that which once made us scream. We will never get this time back. So cherish it now.